1766
Captain James Cook charted the islands
1818
American fisherman were given fishing privileges in the waters surrounding Ramea
1822
First recorded settlers on the island
1836
29 people living on the island, engaged in the fishery and agriculture. They were supplied either by American ships or the Southcoast firm of Newman and Company
1856
John Penny & Son's established a fishing industry
1860
People had relatively easy access to medical care in Burgeo, which had a resident doctor
1865
First school was opened. Alexander Pitcher was the teacher with 25 students
1874
Fisherman experienced several poor years in the fishery and the population dropped from 185 in 1869 to 141 in 1874
1884-1895
First Anglican Church was built
1886
First Roman Catholic Church was built
1889
Postal services became available
1891
Lobster Canning Industry was established
1911
First Telegraph Office was opened
1919
Ramea Integrated School Board was established
1949
George Penny, who bought the firm John Penny & Sons, was appointed to the Canadian Senate. Unfortunately he died four months later
1950s
Population showed a substantial increase. There was full employment for everyone with the fish plant twelve months of the year
1951
The Town of Ramea was incorporated. The first member of council was elected on August 7th
1953
The Neptune Library, the first public library in Ramea, opened in December
1960s
Water and sewer was installed
1963
First telephone call was made from Ramea by Hon. C.W. Carter
1964
Newfoundland Light And Power Company Limited supplied electricity to the town
1966
The census indicated a population of 1160, this continued to rise and peaked at 1386 in 1986
1967
Marie S. Penny, wife of the late George Penny, took over operation of John Penny & Son's. She later became the first woman president of the Fisheries Council of Canada
1968
A ferry service was established between Ramea and Burgeo to improve medical services
1982
Roads were paved
1983
Diminishing fish stocks and rapid expansion of the business sent John Penny & Son's into bankruptcy
1983
Fishery Products International took control of John Penny & Son's
1983
The Sound Of Islay, the first car/passenger ferry for Ramea was put into service
1984
Ramea Broadcasting Corporation was established
1985
An outdoor swimming pool was opened
1993
Fishery Products International had gradually decreased yearly operations in Ramea. In May the plant closed, a victim of the East Coast fishery moratorium.
1993
St. Boniface All Grade School struck by fire on November 23rd. Students and staff escaped but building was completely destroyed
1995
Construction of a new school underway
1997
Ramea was recipient of the Provincial Tidy Town's award
1997
The new St. Boniface All Grade School was opened in February